Monday, January 25, 2010

bunny and bear



i first drew these characters at cal arts in 2005 during a 24 hour sound design session for "robot be-bop" with my friend debbie. we did it straight through and it was probably somewhere around the 16 hour mark (probably awake for almost 24 hours already) i doodled these two in my sketch book. i became obsessed with the bunny and the bear and created multiple universes and stories for them, all of which failed to develop fully.

i have drawn hundreds to thousands of small, random characters in my sketchbooks, on napkins and the undersides of tables but i can't remember ever being so wrapped up in any of my characters as i have with these two. in a way, they haunt me. i have no idea what it is about them, but i absolutely love my unnamed bunny and bear.

these were sculpted in 2005 or 2006 with the intent to make a mold out of them but i got carried away and decided to paint them as soon as they were cooked. they have quite a few battle wounds as a result of my semi-nomadic lifestyle.




No comments: